- Business litigation
- Products liability defense
- Employment and discrimination
- Trucking and transportation
Tom was raised in northern Wyoming and educated in Montana and Massachusetts. After law school, he returned west, where he worked for the Wyoming Legislature, managed a congressional campaign in eastern Washington, and taught at Gonzaga Law School before settling in Billings. Since 1986, he has been defending transportation companies and product manufacturers, and counseling and representing businesses and individuals through employment and business litigation.
Tom speaks regularly at seminars hosted by ALFA International, the International Association of Defense Counsel, the State Bar of Montana, and other organizations. He is known for incorporating game theory, neuroscientific research, and karaoke into presentations about legal ethics and trial advocacy, and he also enjoys expostulating about employment law, covenants not to compete, product liability, and civil procedure.
In his spare time, Tom likes to read, hike, ride bikes, paddle rivers, act in community theatre productions, play guitar, and sing with the Symphony Chorale and other ensembles. He lives in Billings with his wife, Evey LaMont, a retired school psychologist and transition coach. They have four grown children and four grandchildren.
- Chair, Riverstone Health Clinic Board of Directors
- Chair, Billings Symphony Artistic Advisory Committee
- Host, Billings Symphony’s “Concert Cues”
- Board member, Northwest College Alumni Association
- Former director, Billings Symphony Orchestra & Chorale
- Former director, Billings Depot, Inc.
- Former director, Billings Preservation Society
- Former director, Red Lodge Music Festival
- Former director, NAMI-Billings
- Former director, Tumbleweed Runaway Program
- Former director, Billings Studio Theatre
- All state and federal courts in Montana
- All state and federal courts in Wyoming
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Supreme Court
- “AV” Peer-review rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, Billings 2016-2018
- “Best Lawyers in America” in Employment Law – Management, Litigation – Labor and Employment, and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2016 – present
- “Super Lawyer” in Business Litigation, 2007 – present
- Fellow in Litigation Counsel of America, 2008 – present
- International Association of Defense Counsel, 1999 – present
- George L. Bousilman Professionalism Award from State Bar of Montana, 2002.
- Harvard University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1978
- Northwest College, A.A., 1973
- Eastern Montana College, B.A., 1975