Susan Ridgeway, Attorney at Law
Susan’s practice focuses primarily on civil litigation, business law, and surrogacy and reproductive technology law. She is rated “AV” for legal ability and ethics by Martindale-Hubbell.
She has over 20 years of experience helping clients complete business transactions or resolve disputes involving matters such as construction, condominiums, real property, banking, secured transactions, sales, insurance, third-party administrators, health care, covenants not to compete, or shareholder liability. Her clients include construction contractors, property developers, condominium associations, banks, small and large businesses, physicians, and health care professionals. Susan also assists clients who are dissolving their marriage to preserve, value, and divide their assets. She has litigated and tried cases filed in both state and federal courts.
Susan has over a decade of experience providing legal services to clients in reproductive arrangements involving a surrogate or donated ova, sperm, or embryos. She is recognized as authority on surrogacy, reproductive technology law, and establishing parentage. You can read more about Susan’s experience here.
She also has a solid record of obtaining remedies for LGBT parents and spouses and their children. Her successes include groundbreaking Montana Supreme Court decisions and numerous out-of-court resolutions. She assisted the Family Equality Council in preparing the “Montana LGBTQ Family Law Guide.”
Susan writes and speaks at legal education conferences, is a guest lecturer at the School of Law, and devotes significant time to updating and improving the law.
In her community, Susan is a current board member of Friends of Missoula Parks, Inc., and a past board member of Missoula City Parks and Recreation, Blue Mountain Clinic, and Missoula Community School. She has served as a writing coach, on policy committees for Missoula County Public Schools, and as a team manager, assistant coach, or referee for Missoula Strikers Soccer Association. Susan enjoys cycling, mountain biking, and playing ice hockey with friends.
- Carleton College, University of Montana, B.A. with honors
- University of Montana, J.D. with honors
- Judicial Law Clerk, Washington State Court of Appeals, Seattle, Washington
- Assistant Attorney General, State of Washington, Spokane, Washington
- Associate Attorney, Datsopoulos, MacDonald & Lind, P.C., Missoula, Montana
- Solo Practitioner, Missoula, Montana
- Partner, Axilon Law Group, Missoula, Montana
- American Bar Association
- ABA Sections or Committees: Business Law, Family Law, and Assisted Reproductive Technologies
- National LGBT Bar Association, Family Law Institute
- Society for Ethical Egg Donation and Surrogacy (SEEDS)
- State Bar of Montana
- Montana State Courts
- Montana Federal Court and Bankruptcy Court
125 Bank Street, Suite 403
Missoula, MT 59802